In the past few decades, technology has completely changed how we live our lives. We now have access to as much information as we want, vacuums no longer need human assistance and we can watch an entire season of Friends in one sitting. Joking aside, technology has made our lives much easier and more efficient in many ways. Advances in technology have saved lives, helped the environment and demonstrated the amazing capabilities of human ingenuity.
However, technology has also taken away from our basic need for human connection by means of distraction. For example, subways that were once bustling with conversation have been replaced by downward facing heads lit by the dim, blue glow of their smart phones. We are more connected than ever before but ironically have far fewer meaningful connections.
There is no question, technology is an amazing tool that has changed the way we live for the better in many ways; but, the distractions can lead to us missing out on what’s happening around us. A life full of meaningful, human interaction is just that, a meaningful life, and one that God created us for.
6 Healthy Technology Habits
Here are a few simple ways you and your family can put technology in its proper place:
- Start your morning with a meaningful routine (walk, workout, prayer, meditation, reading, etc.) before turning on your phone.
- Spend quality time with others playing a game, going for a walk, cooking, or investing in other hobbies.
- Eat dinner around the dinner table without technology.
- Put your wi-fi network on a timer to turn off at a certain hour each night and turn on again in the morning.
- Charge your phone outside of your bedroom.
- Turn off your screens an hour before bed; this will improve sleep and allow time to connect with those you live with.