Principled Chiropractic is the art, science and philosophy of realigning vertebrae (bones) that are out of alignment in the spine to restore function in the nervous system (nerves).
Nerves control the human body. Everything (circulation, breathing, elimination, etc.) is under the direction of this unbelievably complicated system. If the impulses of this network are transmitted normally to and from the brain without interference, the body will be at its optimum and able to ward off disease to the best of its ability. If these impulses are stopped or interfered with, the area dependent upon them will malfunction and/or become diseased. A vertebral subluxation occurs when a vertebra in your spine becomes misaligned, and it causes nerve interference.
Principled Chiropractic is the only profession that utilizes gentle spinal adjustments to free pinched nerves so the body can heal itself. Principled chiropractors focus on the spine and the origin of the nervous system to correct problems throughout the body without the use of drugs or surgery
Drs. Tonnos is dedicated to learning how, when, why, and where to apply that gentle force called a Chiropractic adjustment, and to help you, the patient, prevent your subluxation from recurring.
Three different types of stress can cause subluxations:
1. Emotional Stress: According to research, the #1 cause of subluxation in North America today is emotional stress. Emotional stress can result from family problems, financial difficulties and work or school related problems. It is important to understand that emotional stress can cause tension in your muscles that in time can pull vertebrae out of alignment.
2. Physical Stress: Physical stress can be caused by accidents, sports injuries, falls, and other trauma, poor posture, repetitive movements that gradually wear down your body parts and difficult birth. Although vertebral subluxations are the most common forms of interference with nerve messages, they are by no means the only ones. Broken bones, arthritis, tumors, direct pressure (when your legs or arms ‘go to sleep’), and neurological diseases, such as muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, polio and cerebral palsy, can also damage nerves.
3. Chemical Stress: Poor nutrition, chemical addiction (drug intake), being over medicated, or being exposed repeatedly to industrial chemicals can cause Chemical Stress.
Different people have different reactions depending on their condition (i.e. presence of swelling, inflammation and muscle spasms), the amount of time the condition has existed and the person’s degree of sensitivity. Many people however will feel the following:
1. Peace and relaxation:
After an adjustment you may experience a feeling of deepening peace and relaxation. This relaxed feeling may last for the rest of the day or the week and may lead to deep refreshing sleep. Other patients have reported a warm feeling flowing to various parts of their bodies which is very soothing. Some patients feel very energetic and do all their chores or business that day with a light, happy feeling.
2. Relief of symptoms:
Other patients may find their symptoms begin to disappear, and the problems that initiated the visit to the principled chiropractor begin to lessen after the first visit. Some patients feel no difference after an adjustment. This does not mean they are not benefiting from their adjustments, but rather they’re not feeling any external reaction.
3. Overall improvement:
As you continue your principled chiropractic care and your spine and nervous system continue to release deep seated stress, you may begin to notice better balance, smoother movement, and as a result, more energy. Other benefits include increased awareness of your spine and its movements, areas of tightness and/or restrictions; awareness of your body stress; and more emotional relaxation. You may spontaneously change your eating habits, feel an increased desire to exercise, go for walks or become more sensitive to your work and leisure.
In our office, we recommend that you do the following once we have corrected your spinal misalignments.
2. Follow proper nutrition
3. Reduce stress
4. Maintain proper posture
5. Get the proper amount of rest and sleep
6. Keep a positive mental attitude
We understand that you can not change your lifestyle overnight. However, if you incorporate these ideas slowly, you will most definitely enjoy better health. Keep in mind that you are responsible for your health.
There are 3 types of care in Chiropractic:
1) Initial Care to remove symptoms.
2) Corrective Care to correct the cause of the underlying muscle weakness, soft tissue damage, and degenerative change.
3) Wellness Care, similar to brushing teeth, tuning up your car or regularly visiting a dentist, wellness care is important for maintaining optimal health, saving money, and enjoying a healthy lifestyle. How long you decide to benefit from principled chiropractic is always up to you.